Old October 20th 08, 01:07 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Default Re-introduction

Rosalie B. wrote:

I found, through moving around the country a lot (having a dh in the Navy) that
the kids did better WRT friends and people to play with if they moved during the
school year, or at least not in the summer.

Differently people have different experiences. I was a
military brat and made seven moves during my primary and secondary
school years. Five of those were during the summer, and two
were during the school year. I found the summer moves easier.
It's true that moving during the school year gets you in the
social milieu faster, but being dumped in a new classroom
mid-year when everyone else knows the ropes and you don't
(and in later years, when the curriculum is out of synch with
what you were used to) was harder.
When we moved in the summer, we typically didn't
make all that many friends until school started, but since
we were busy settling in and getting to know the area,
that didn't seem like much of a problem to me. I also
think that it's not that bad to come in fresh to first
grade, since a number of kids change schools between
kindergarten and first grade, for a variety of reasons.

Best wishes,
Ericka