Old September 22nd 04, 03:09 PM
Beachcomber

Similarly, rather than reform a system woefully out of touch with boys' real
world natures and needs, our schools find it easier to demand that boys be
something other than boys.

I went to elementary school in the early 1960's. There was no Ritlin
or diagnosis of "Attention Deficit Syndrome". As a boy, I don't
always remember sitting still all the time, but we did respect the
teachers and did what they asked of us, more often then not.

If a kid did something really bad, he or she had to stay after school
or see the principal. That or the prospect of a note or a phone call
to our parents was enough to put a scare into us and make us behave.

I have a problem understand what is so different today? Are the kids
that different? Are they wilder? Are they breathing air of a
different chemical compositon? Or are the teachers less skilled and
less willing to put the effort into correcting behavior. Anyone?

Beachcomber