Old September 22nd 04, 05:01 PM
Bill in Co.

Beachcomber wrote:
Similarly, rather than reform a system woefully out of touch with boys'

real
world natures and needs, our schools find it easier to demand that boys

be
something other than boys.

I went to elementary school in the early 1960's. There was no Ritlin
or diagnosis of "Attention Deficit Syndrome". As a boy, I don't
always remember sitting still all the time, but we did respect the
teachers and did what they asked of us, more often then not.

Exactly! Well said. Truer words have never been spoken.

If a kid did something really bad, he or she had to stay after school
or see the principal. That or the prospect of a note or a phone call
to our parents was enough to put a scare into us and make us behave.

Right on! (those days are a thing of the past)

I have a problem understand what is so different today? Are the kids
that different? Are they wilder? Are they breathing air of a
different chemical compositon? Or are the teachers less skilled and
less willing to put the effort into correcting behavior. Anyone?

They're more spoiled. And this is the fallout of so much more prevalent
absentee parenting. Hell, you're lucky if you can find a 2 parent home
nowadays. And as for someone being home for the kids these days? Don't
make me laugh. It's more important to have those 2 incomes, don't ya know!

Does anybody have any quality time for the kids growing up these days?
Nah, we're all too busy at work. Do we have some misplaced priorities
here??? No, can't be! Hey, but at least we can all feel
"self-actualized" today! (ME ME ME).

So, is this rocket science? Nope. We are reaping what we've sowed.
Praise the Lord!

But, hey, at least we have TVs and cell phones and other prized possessions
in all our rooms!