Old December 6th 07, 04:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Default Rewarding good or "not bad"

Welches wrote:
"Penny Gaines" wrote in message

[snip]
I'm not quite sure what you can do as a parent, except possibly bring it
to the teacher's notice. I suppose you could bring it up with the
governors (for non-UK posters, these could be thought of as the school
board), but it would need to be changed from within the school.

Anyway, you have my sympathies, but beyond changing school, I'm not
quite sure what you could do about it.

She leaves at the end of the year, for junior school, so I don't think I'd
bring it up unless it was raised. As for the governors-I might speak to dh
about it, but I don't think it is in their present remit. :-)
They are (as I've gradually realised) very committed to non-competitiveness.
They even have a non-competitive sports day which, as a child whose aim was
not to come last, I think is unfair on those who are good. No house points,
no competitive things in any way. I think the hm is afraid of being called
on favouritism so they make sure no one shines too brightly. (and I'm not
specifically thinking of my child as I say that!)
It is generally a very good school, and we're lucky to get in-they were
oversubscribed by at least 50% last year, and this is really a minor niggle.
But I feel it must be pretty obvious for her and others to have noticed at
their age.

Well, my DD was only 3yo when she spotted the playgroup leaders were
giving stickers to some children but other well-behaved children never
got any.

I would still be inclined to bring it up with the teacher at the next
parents evening. It might merely mean that your DD is added to the
short-list of "children who get stickers".

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three