Old July 19th 07, 09:59 PM posted to misc.kids
NL

Default Newsweek: "If I'm ever going to fulfill my dream of becominga mother, I'm going to need some better role models."

schrieb:
Oh yeah, and if you're looking for better role models, maybe don't look
for them at R-Rated movies or adult only parties, they're probably not
there.

cu
nicole-

Not sure what you're saying. Yes, there have always been ill-mannered
parents, but from what I understand, back then, generally, even THEY
didn't used to take kids to social functions where the parents were
invited but the kids weren't. Or places where babies' or toddlers'
noise will be considered nothing but outrageous - such as fancy
restaurants. I.e., there are MORE clueless parents, on average, than
there used to be. They don't necessarily become less of a nuisance
outside of the theatre or the party. Take, for example, parents who
let kids run around and trip waiters with heavy trays because they
"can't" keep the kids still.

And how often have you, personally seen this happen? And why would you
choose to judge all parents based on the few who let their kids "run
wild"? What about the parents in that same restaurant that didn't bring
their kids, do you see them, do you recognize parents if they don't have
their children with them?

Not to mention that in the early 1970s, there were no VCRs, so a
single mother who wanted to hear all the dialogue in a grown-up movie
either had to pay a babysitter or wait YEARS for the movie to come to
TV. What's the excuse today, what with free movies quickly available
at the library?

What are you trying to say? That now single mothers (like me) bring
their kids to adult movies with them? Sorry, not going to happen. My
son's been to the movies exactly once so far. We watched "Meet the
Robinsons".

Finally, as the comments page (when you click on the link at the top)
at the bottom of the article will show you, there are tons of parents
who sympathize with her.

And that proves what? That a lot of parents see things her way, which
means that a lot of parents think having kids today is a horribly bad
decision because there are no good role models?
Where are you personally looking for your parenting role models? Do you
see the parents who didn't bring their kids to the movies? Do you
recognize them at the restaurant? No, you don't, because _they didn't
bring their kids_ and they're not wearing some kind of parenting tattoo
on their foreheads. Of course you'll only see the ones bringing their
not so very well raised children because they're a lot more visible, and
audible...

cu
nicole