Old December 8th 07, 12:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

Default Rewarding good or "not bad"

"Welches" wrote in message

I'm wondering how other schools deal with this problem, as I can't think
of a realisitc way round this where all are going to be motivated and feel
rewarded. The ones who really seem to miss out from my observation are
those who are quiet, obedient, and middle of the class in achievements,
they seem to get very, very few rewards at all.

Debbie

I have one son (DS1) that does not excel, although he isn't in 'trouble' a
lot either, and one son (DS2) that finds the whole day easy peasy.

DS1 might get more frequent verbal praise. They praise him a lot for
staying on task and things that most kids just do ordinarily.

DS2 gets less frequent verbal praise but he gets his stickers for good
behavior/remembering things and signs off more 'reading' logs etc. so he
gets a lot more rewards in that sense.

In this current school the kids get 'student of the day' or some such thing
where they are teachers helper for a day etc. and they just rotate through
the class. It isn't earned. Last year DS2 was in a different school where
they did Star Student of the week and he did get that once. \

I'm happy with the balance my school has. They have charts etc. that all
kids participate in and of course some kids move more rapidly through them
then others and yet my first son isn't getting totally left out of positive
reinforcements. They are young yet (2nd grade and kindy) so I don't know
how it will change as they get older.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99