Old August 8th 03, 05:48 PM
Rosalie B.

Default Baby Food Question

x-no-archive:yes
OSPAM (Naomi Pardue) wrote:

Nah, you don't throw them away, you make craft projects out of them. One
project was to glue different colored tissue paper on them and put a tea
candle in it.

But just how many teacandles can one person make? I mean, we didn't use a
whole lot of babyfood (one kid, only on babyfood for a few months), but I ended
up throwing out [we didn't have curbside recycling yet] zillions of babyfood
jars, even though I reused as many as I could for other things.

I didn't make my own baby food - I didn't have any kind of a food mill
or a blender at that point in my life. I did feed the kids table food
more than seems to be the case now. I didn't worry as much as today's
parents (at least in this ng) seem to about allergies although I had
some, my dad had some and my sister had some.

And my kids seem to be relatively allergy free, although the oldest
one has some lactose intolerance which has also finally landed on my
mom at age 94 although she happily drank gallons of cows milk up until
last month. In any case I don't think that's a true allergy. I also
didn't worry a great deal about choking as far as food was concerned.

I didn't have much success with 'junior foods' so my kids generally
went right from baby cereal (which wasn't that 'smooth' and lump free
the way I made it) and pureed food like peaches and beets to what I
thought of as suitable table foods.

There were two things that I regretted not having access to after the
children grew out of the stage of needing them. One was old diapers
and one was baby food jars. DH has racks of them in the garage - he
nailed the lid to a board, and put the small screws and bits in them
and then mounted the boards and screwed the jars onto the lids.
Everything was kept visible and clean but out of the way. I only
threw them out if I was out somewhere and I didn't want to carry the
leftover bits in the jar around with me.

grandma Rosalie