Old October 18th 06, 10:13 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
blue

Default I was just wondering, is it standard procedure in a normal delivery...

"Elfanie" wrote
Not only that,...but OBs don't see you after the birth until 6 weeks
postpartum. I come back 1 day after the birth, 3 days aftrer the
birth, 1 week, 3 weeks, and then 6 weeks after the birth.
and still manage to do all my prenatals and birth care.

True that the doctors won't be able to take a gazillian clients at
once like they do....

This is my biggest problem with OBs, they take a gazillion clients all at
once. SOME OB offices actually have the on-call OB take appointments on the
same day that they are on call for labors and I ran into that and was forced
to see the nurse instead of any doctor when I showed up for my appointments,
because the doctor was "doing a delivery". Also, I showed up some when the
OB was just running out of the office to go to a delivery and the staff said
they should be back in about 30 minutes! That's robo service. It's
wrong...at least some OB offices rotate the doctors to where the one on call
does not have to also take regular appointments all day! This should be a
standard IMO. (BTW my OB office was located right at the hospital in a
medical office section so they literally could run out and if the lady was
able to push the baby out in 15 minutes, they really could be back in 30!
Whew.

I liked that the midwives at least had the one on call NOT taking
appointments too. It's a shame that now I don't even have the *chouce* to
use them again. Well if I want to use a hospital an hour away from home
instead of 10 minutes I could see one of them again...but from experience I
know at 8 months pregnant with swelled up feet I don't want to drive into
huge city traffic for an hour each way for weekly appointments etc...

It is also true that the OBs schedule your checkup for 6 weeks after birth-
they check you before you leave the hospital last thing then unless you had
a C section they'll see you in 6 weeks. The midwives actually did this too
though--except I complained of pain so they had me come in at 4 weeks, and
they told me my stitches had all dissolved already, and that very night, I
decided to feel up where it was hurting and pulled out- you guessed it- a
suture.

Still, the midwives were great, they really were...they deserve credit...at
the time their contract was cancelled with the hospital they had a pretty
busy patient load as more women found them and liked their treatment. Their
office visits were lengthy, relaxed, and sort of informal...they had a great
nurse. It was very convenient too. I did say I decided to just see the OB
group next time though, before I even found out they were closing, but it
was NOT to their discredit. I have some OB problems that are going to
require surgery so I figured I may as well get in with an OB group anyway,
and I had discovered that the one the midwives partnered with that ended up
actually delivering my daughter is extremely excellent. So I figurd I may as
well get established as their patient to make the treatment I am going to
need (that nurse midwives can't do) easier...