Old December 7th 07, 12:43 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

Default Am I hurting my child by putting her in daycare at 22 months?

"toypup" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 13:05:46 +1100, Chookie wrote:

The only thing I disagree with Ericka about is dropping in unannounced; I
think that's rude, and it can be very inconvenient for the carers.
Certainly
you should not pop in between 11:30 and 2pm; that's lunch and nap time.
Day
care centres will ask you to come at about 10:30am, as a rule, which is
usually when they are having a quieter, organised indoor activity after
the
more vigorous activity earlier, but the children are not yet tired out
and
cranky!

That's really the only way to see things in action. Haven't you seen the
undercover videos they make for the news? Those poorer quality daycare
centers know how to straighten up before the parents get there. One
center
neglected the kids all day. They were in their carseats from the time
they
came to just before their parents came to pick them up, at which time more
staff arrived to pick up the place and play with the babies. It was all
for show.

I did once visit a site that could have made it in the news like that. I
thought, if only I had a video camera.

Many of the good programs here have started having webcam feeds available
during the day. Parents can log in to a secure site and view their child's
classroom. I've had parents tell me that they tune in each week to my "music
show" or comment on things we did in music class when I know they've never
been in the room. It was a little disconcerting to be "always on" initially,
but after a few days, it was no big deal.

I also like that I can stop in the office, check the cameras, and get a feel
for how the class is that day (are they more active, more lethargic, how are
the kids who are more sensitive doing) and sometimes change my plan for the
group slightly based on what they need, before the kids see me (which
immediately leads to 3/4 of the class running to hug me).