Old November 13th 05, 11:54 PM
Jeff

Default Inconsiderate drivers and kids who walk to school

When I was a kid, we had to walk uphill 10 miles to/from school both ways.

Personally, I would bring up the safety issues at the next school board
meeting and to the local police immediately. I'd make video tapes and bring
them to the school board meeting and send them to the police.

If you organize the parents in your immediate area, you might also be able
to do some things, like have a sit in (that is, sit in your cars near the
school, so that the rude parents cannot get their kids close to the
school), put up pickets, request speed bumps and if you get them, park cars
near the speed bumps so that parents have to go over them, try to encourage
the police department to ticket speeding parents, etc.

You also need to check out the local laws and make the police and school
aware of the local laws. You might also be able to do some things, like get
a designated drop off/pick up area near the school, perhaps located so that
walking to school is safer.

In most years, there are very few kids killed in bus crashes, but several
hundred kids killed in car crashes around the time that kids are going to
and coming from school. So school buses are like 10 to 100 times safer than
cars. Not to mention how much fuel is wasted drivng kids to school.

Jeff