Old March 11th 04, 01:26 AM
Donna

Default another breastfeeding thing :)

"Leanne" wrote in message

The NHMRC is setting a target of 50% of mothers 'exclusively'

breastfeeding
until six months. At the moment it is under 20%. (Exclusive breastfeeding
means babies receive no other foods, juice, vitamins, infant formula or
other milks.)

I wonder what the rationale is for excluding vitamins from the recommended
intake during the first six months, given the risk of rickets and iron
deficiency? In the US the current recommendation is to supplement with
vitamin d when exclusively breastfeeding ( I don't know if there is a
recommendation to supplement the iron, but I don't believe there is). I
wonder why the difference between the two standards?

Donna