Old March 11th 04, 02:21 AM
HollyLewis

Default another breastfeeding thing :)

I wonder what the rationale is for excluding vitamins from the recommended
intake during the first six months, given the risk of rickets and iron
deficiency? In the US the current recommendation is to supplement with
vitamin d when exclusively breastfeeding ( I don't know if there is a
recommendation to supplement the iron, but I don't believe there is). I
wonder why the difference between the two standards?

Donna

I caught that too. No, there is no recommendation for iron supplements during
the first six months. Some doctors recommend them for the *second* six months
and beyond if the baby is not yet eating a significant quantity of iron-rich
foods. Yes, there is a recommendation to give Vitamin D, but it is a new and
rather controversial recommendation. The natural source of Vit D is sunlight.
Therefore, if your baby gets at least a few minutes of sun exposure most days,
s/he almost certainly does not need any Vit D supplement.

Vit D supplements are a good idea for dark-skinned babies, those who are
ordinarily kept completely covered by clothing when outdoors, and those living
in northern climes where the amount of sunlight is minimal. In fact, the same
rules apply for adults; if you are dark-skinned, usually wear a burqa, or live
in a region where you don't get much sunlight, and you don't consume foods that
contain Vit D supplements, then you should consider getting extra Vit D in pill
form.

In any event, I certainly wouldn't dispute the right of any mother who gave her
baby Vitamin D supplements to describe the baby as exclusively breastfed, at
least for ordinary purposes. I suppose it might make some difference if she's
giving the baby's medical history to a doctor.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04