Old March 11th 04, 10:32 AM
Donna

Default another breastfeeding thing :)

"HollyLewis" wrote in message

I caught that too. No, there is no recommendation for iron supplements

during
the first six months. Some doctors recommend them for the *second* six

months
and beyond if the baby is not yet eating a significant quantity of

iron-rich
foods.

Thanks, Holly. That is good info. And iirc, the new recommendations are
quite new - what, three years or something?

Yes, there is a recommendation to give Vitamin D, but it is a new and
rather controversial recommendation. The natural source of Vit D is

sunlight.
Therefore, if your baby gets at least a few minutes of sun exposure most

days,
s/he almost certainly does not need any Vit D supplement.

You know, when my pediatrician mentioned giving vitamin D, I sort of thought
DD might be getting enough sunlight to balance that, but I couldn't find any
source for how long the baby should be outdoors, should one not wish to give
the Vit. D. A few minutes? Hours? Since giving a vitamin isn't a big deal
for me, actually, is something I feel good about doing, I didn't worry about
it. I am interested, though. Anyone know how much time in the sun = the
recommended amount of Vitamin D? Just for curiosity....

In any event, I certainly wouldn't dispute the right of any mother who

gave her
baby Vitamin D supplements to describe the baby as exclusively breastfed,

at
least for ordinary purposes.

Who would? And why bother with labels anyway?

I suppose it might make some difference if she's
giving the baby's medical history to a doctor.

I can only imagine mentioning it because of the new recommendations.

Donna