Old February 5th 04, 11:51 PM
Janette

Default preschool question -- kinda long!

I think it is quite odd that he would totally shut down like
this, particularly if he enjoys the setting and the other
children. You mentioned that he shut down about one month
into the year, so has this been going on for about four
months?

Yes, it has been going on for awhile now. He can be very stubborn...and my
mom thinks this is a control issue with Logan. I'm not so sure what it is.
I agree with you that 2 1/2 hours of silence is difficult for this age. He
will nod yes or no to answers if the teachers asks him a question, but he
never verbally answers her and will never initiate conversation. He stays
to himself and does his own thing the entire time.

From what you have written, the teacher must be sharing with
you that the child does not speak at all, and if her
motivations were impure, one might think that she would keep
this to herself as everything else seems to be going so
swimmingly. It would seem at odds if you, with no
indication from child or teacher (who seems to be openly
sharing in the concern) assume that the issue lies with her
simply because you cannot think of a better reason

I truly don't know where the issue lies. Logan's teacher is very open with
me about this and she is not concerned about it at all, just wants me to be
informed that it's happening. She believes Logan is just not ready to
express himself yet, and once he's ready he will talk again. I say, if this
is the case, why would he start talking and then stop? I'm not trying to
place blame on the teacher at all...just mainly wondered what anyone in
early childhood, etc thought of her comment regarding if we changed
preschools, teachers etc for next year, it would cause him to regress even
more.

Thanks for your reply!!

Janette
Mom to Logan Alexander 2-29-00