Old June 9th 04, 11:02 PM
Kane

Default How Children REALLY React To Control

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:23:03 -0700, Doan wrote:

On 9 Jun 2004, Chris wrote:

In alt.parenting.spanking Nathan A. Barclay

wrote:

: But by and large, the system works. And throwing it out before

we're
: positive that we have something that will work better in the real

world,
: with real parents and real children, would be foolish.

Once again, Nathan, you appear to be talking about win/win

cooperative
nonpunitive discipline as if it were some sort of new untested

concept
rather than a set of approaches to dealing with conflict in the
parent/child relationship developed decades ago and used

successfully in
thousands of families.

Ah! I just love the logic. :-) Isn't this the same argument that you
don't like about spanking? Afterall, spanking has been used for

thousands
of years and BILLIONS of families.

Sorry. Not the same logic at all. And no, that's not the argument he
used either.

You overlooked the word "successfully." That's the key.

If all you have is a hammer ever problem looks like a nail.

Some parents have learned about other ways to solve problems than
using a hammer.

And in fact, we now drive nails, or make fastenings with many more
things than hammers and nails.

We've even learned how to line up molecules so materials will bond to
each other without "spanking" them.

In other words.

Parents are improving.

Are you against improving?

Improvement can save a lot of cat's-asses in good wood, avoid a lot of
smashed fingers, and reduce production of a lot of, dare I say it?
Injured children.

Doan

Not hitting, and doing other things instead seems to be too hard for
some. Probably they should think about getting a pet rock.

Kane