Old September 6th 05, 07:54 PM
Caledonia

Claire Petersky wrote:
In any case, considering Katrina's aftermath, I was wondering what people's
disaster preparation plans were, and if they've been changed.

The biggest change is that we've realized we would resist a forced
evacuation to a large sporting arena in the event of a National
Disaster. Given where we live, this would only occur due to a terrorist
attack, and we're semi self-sufficient here in the short term.

The likelihood of disasters here a
- Blizzard/extended power outage
- Terrorist attack in nearby (20 miles away) city

For DD1's school, we had to list 5 emergency contacts (dual land-line
and cell-phone numbers). At the point of calling the 5th contact, I
personally believe that it'd probably be safer for her to remain at
school, given everyone's propensity for carrying their cell phones all
the time.

We have ample water, 1/2 cord of old wood, and generally have food
(unappealing, but food nonetheless) for about 6 days on hand. I only do
grocery shopping every 2 weeks, and keep the rotating through the food
that we really aren't psyched about. For us, when the power is out, the
heat is out, and the water is out, so we're a little paranoid w/r/t
water and heat.

We also keep two 2.5 gallon gas containers filled in the garage (again,
rotating with another container) -- with my car, that could get us
about 80 miles when loaded (children, pets, and supplies).

We've arranged a meeting point with DH, as I work out of my home, my
children attend schools within a 4 mile radius of home, and he works in
the city and/or travels frequently.

Our wills, power of attorney, and guardians are lined up, and said
documents are dispersed across the country.

We have not talked about this with the children, as they're too young
(DD1's only memory of 9/11 was when the 'man with the gun' took away
her toddler ABC fork at Logan in October 2001. My bad. How was I to
know that toddler forks were banned?).

Caledonia