Old September 7th 05, 03:17 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"A & L Lane" wrote:

We don't really have a disaster plan, because we live in roughly the

middle of
Greater Sydney. We're a long way from bushfires, earthquakes, cyclones,
tornadoes etc.

Remember the Newcastle earthquake ? Not far from Sydney but I agree that a
major one on the scale of *big disaster* is unlikely. Also, I think the

Well, it's hardly the San Andreas Fault -- IIRC the Newcastle fault line had
not moved from when recording started until that particular earthquake, in
which a small number of buildings were damaged/destroyed and all the people
who died were in the club that collapsed. Not worth worrying about IMO.

Canberra bushfires showed us that fire can sweep through areas which
normally might have been quite safe.

I think we really are too far from massed trees to have to worry. We don't
have any national parks near us and Rookwood Cemetery (2 km south) isn't
heavily wooded enough to cause us to worry.

I suppose that we *might* get strong enough winds to bring down power lines
and cause a fire, but we only catch the edge of southerly busters. Pity -- I
grew up on Botany Bay, and the southerly was lovely on summer evenings! Here,
it often stays hot.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.