Old September 26th 08, 10:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default After school activities for 6yr old

In article , JennP. says...

On 26 Sep 2008 05:16:46 -0700, Banty wrote:

In article , Welches says...

"Dad" wrote in message
How many times per week do you send your grade 1 kid to after school
activities?

Well, why do I ask?

I've put my son in minor hockey, the season will start next week. It is
twice a week, i.e. 2 hours a week. He still takes skating lessons, that
is once a week. Am I crazy to put him in one more activity?
I'm assuming grade 1 is about age 6 (?)

It depends on your child. Both their energy/concentration levels and whether
they want to. If he wants to then I'd say, give it a go, but if he's finding
it too tiring then he has to choose between them.

The skating lessons are linked with the hockey, though.

How much longer are the skating lessons?

Banty

They aren't always. It sounded to me like he was doing a separate
skating clinic. I was under the impression that he was spending 3
hours/week on skating lessons and hockey.

Sure, he's doing a separate clinic. But you need to skate well to play ice
hockey - no? And he said he's "still" doing skating lessons. At that age, it
makes sense.

So it's not like one would say "I'll drop skating and keep hockey so I can do
another activity" or "I'll drop hockey but keep with skating lessons..."

Banty