Old May 14th 04, 11:53 PM
Vicki S

Default Membrane rupture question

"Em" beadjoy@ .com wrote:

"Vicki S" wrote in message
... she said it was ok to let the doctor break the bag.
So I let them. I still don't know why the Dr. wanted to. ...

rant--certainly not directed at you Vicki, just this issue in general

Oh, I don't feel the slightest bit implicated. I really enjoy most
rants, actually. :-)

I find it interesting how it seems like you can't win with how ROM
occurs--if it breaks on its own, its "too soon" and hospital personnel
get worked up about infection, but if it doesn't break early enough in
labor, then it needs to be broken to "speed things up" or to "help
things along" ...

I expect my midwife would completely agree with you. She came over
for a prenatal today and we talked about why the OB broke my sac. She
had a few different answers, such as "it probably shaved 5 minutes off
the end of the birth", and "OB's like to do things". She said she has
a very hands-off attitude about such things, so I brought up how she
pulled the sac off my daughter's face after her head was born. She
said Ladybug was making exaggerated breathing motions with her mouth
and wanted to facilitate the baby's opportunity/ability to actually
breathe, since that's what she seemed eager to do. :-)
It was a good conversation. I learned more about the births of both
my children.

I think it would have been neat if your son was delivered in the
caul--doesn't happen very often!

ME TOO! I have just ONE more chance at this, and my midwife knows I
would love it to happen. Maybe this time it will! I've certainly
made tough enough sacs the last two times!

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel Sullen, born 11/16/99;