Old August 3rd 07, 01:33 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
[email protected]

Default 'rig' to hold baby "over the shoulder"

On Jul 31, 4:36 pm, "
wrote:
at night the only position which keeps my baby happy is 'over the
shoulder' burping position.but i have to keep her there for *hours*
till she (6kg) finally dozes off.

i hope this doesnt sound silly but have you ever seen a product out
there best described as a chair for a baby, molded in the form of an
adult chest & shoulder which allows baby to stay in 'over the shoulder
position' ? i could prop it up in bed beside me.
where could i look for something like this? i am so desperate i am
thinking of trying to sew a stuffed up one but i dont know how to sew.
thx

I've never seen a product such as you describe, but I have a few other
suggestions for you.

1) If your baby requires an upright position for comfort, it may be a
sign of gastroesophageal reflux (GERD). It may be worth asking your
baby's doctor about this possibility.

2) Searching google for "crib wedge" will reveal a number of products
designed to lift the baby's head a little bit for more comfortable
sleep if she does have reflux issues, but nowhere near to the degree
of an over-the-shoulder position

3) If your baby's dependence on an upright sleep position is not
caused by any physiological reason, but is rather just a habit you and
she have formed together, I recommend the following two books to help
you learn how to break that dependence:
"The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep
Through the Night" by Elizabeth Pantley and
"Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems: New, Revised, and Expanded
Edition" by Richard Ferber

(IMO you should read the Ferber book even if you know you will never
let your child "cry it out" -- it contains a great deal of useful
information about normal sleep and about sleep associations that you
may be able to make use of, even if you disagree with Ferber about
letting a child cry.)

4) If after all this you decide you want to keep holding the baby over
your shoulder until she falls asleep, you may find a sling helpful.

Good luck!
--Robyn