Old September 21st 03, 07:31 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default weight loss during pregnancy

Elaine wrote:

At what point in a pregnancy do you start to worry about weight
loss? I know that the generic answer is eat to hunger and drink
to thirst and don't worry about it, just like it's feed a breast-
fed baby on demand. But at some point babies have failure to
thrive, and at some point weight loss must be worth worrying about.

I'm 5'2" and started this pregnancy at 170lb, which was
fairly overweight. I'm 11 (12?) weeks pregnant, and down to
159. I'm eating to hunger and then some, and drinking to thirst,
I get my vitamins every day, and I've got no morning
sickness to speak of. This week alone I've lost 2lb, and it's
not scale fluctuations. My diet is pretty varied, if heavy
on meats and fresh fruits and veggies.

While this is a great way to finish losing weight, when should
I worry and starting drinking carnation instant breakfast
milkshakes? I'm not worried about it yet, but I probably
will start to worry in another 5lb or so, especially if
the rate of loss continues like this.

Honestly, I don't think you need to worry at all
yet. It might even be until around 20 weeks before
things start to turn around for you weight-wise. The
only concern with weight loss is if you're not getting
enough nutrients to nourish yourself and the baby. If
you are eating well, that should be no problem I suppose
there could be a problem if your understanding of what
to eat is so skewed that eating to hunger isn't providing
you with enough nutrients, but I suspect that's unlikely.
If you want some reassurance, a book like Bridget Swinney's
_Eating Expectantly_ might be a good investment, as she
gives you specifics on how much of what sorts of things
you ought to be eating to provide what you and your baby
need. As long as you're getting those things, weight
loss shouldn't be a problem. Also, as the weeks go
by they'll be able to ascertain that the baby seems
to be growing well too, and that will give you some
reassurance. When you start a pregnancy overweight,
it's not uncommon to lose like this in the first
trimester and even part way through the second trimester.
Don't worry--you *will* start gaining eventually ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka