Old October 29th 03, 11:02 PM
Donna Metler

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

"Circe" wrote in message
"Donna Metler" wrote in message
. ..
"toto" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:16:47 -0800, "Circe" wrote:

My neighbor, who is a kindergarten teacher herself, just took her

first
grader out of school for a little over a week on an independent study
contract. I have a hard time believing she would do this to another

teacher
if she thought it would create a huge burden for that teacher.

I would suggest that the early grades are easier to do this in than
the later grades. If a child is reading well in first grade and is
up to speed on math skills some time off might not cause a problem.

I agree with that assessment.

In addition, starting in grade 3, standardized test scores count against

the
school. Depending on the state, it could be every year, or just specific
ones. The real crisis years here are 3rd, 5th, and 8th, although

students
are tested in grades 1-8, with exit tests in high school subjects.

Well, unless I see some evidence that the new California tests are a vast
improvement, both in content and scoring, over the old Stanford 9s, my

kids
won't be taking them, so no one need worry that their non-attendance will
negatively affect test scores (not that I plan on taking them out, mind
you). While I realize that the school is under a mandate to test 95% of

its
students, sitting the test is optional for any individual student. And by
the time my kids are graduating high school, I'm pretty certain that the
fallacies of NCLB will be wildly apparent to everyone because every single
school in the US will be failing by its standards and much of this testing
mania (including the exit exams) will have passed. But perhaps I'm too

much
the optimist...

And if more than 5% of the parents take this option, every year for the next
three years, the school faces state takeover. Not a good thing. While it may
eventually end with all schools failing, the results for a school on the low
performing list, and for students in that school are MORE boring workbooks,
MORE test prep, LESS hands on, fun learning activities, and LESS real
education. Oh, and MORE standardized and school-based testing (My school has
tested all students at least twice already this year on standardized-type
tests, including kindergarten)

So by sparing your children the 1 week of testing, they may end up in a
test-crazed situation all year long. Not good.

--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [19mo] mom)

"Use repeatedly for severe damage." -- Directions on shampoo bottle

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!