Old July 24th 03, 02:52 AM
Irrational Number

Default pumping logistics

Circe wrote:

Why are you pumping is the question, I guess? If you are pumping to build a
freezer supply for going back to work, then pumping right after a feeding
would be a foolish time to do it. You aren't likely to have much milk in
storage and will probably get very little milk for your efforts. If you want
to build a stash, you'd do best to pump first thing in the morning (when
you'll likely have the most milk, even after the baby feeds) or, if you can
juggle properly, pump one side while you feed the baby from the other (this
tends to get a good amount of milk because you're letting down already). If
that doesn't get you enough milk for your stash, you can also pump any time
your baby has a long nap and you're feeling "full".

Okay, this makes sense to me. I am indeed pumping to
build a stash for when I return to work. But, it didn't
feel right to me to pump after feeding, 'cause by that
time I'm drained and I have other things to do. So,
I've been pumping when Pillbug is asleep (he's been
feeding every hour, so when he sleeps for 3, I can get
a pumping in) or if he only takes one side.

Frankly, it doesn't sound to me like your pediatrician knows much about
breastfeeding or pumping, since his/her suggestion is totally incorrect for
building stash and totally unnecessary otherwise.

Actually, the pediatrician is very good. He's the one
who told me to feed on demand to build up supply and
also that there's nothing wrong with co-sleeping, if
you are safe about it. He probably just meant for me
to pump when I had a chance, or if Pillbug didn't
completely drain me at a feeding.

-- Anita --
Mommy of Sammy the Pillbug, 6 weeks