Old July 25th 03, 02:12 PM
JoAnna

Default pumping logistics

"andrea" wrote in message
"JoAnna" wrote in message

i don't know how you manage it!! I am usually fighting off my 2 year old
while nursing my 1 month old!! forget pumping when he's around either-

if
he
sees the pump parts laying around he wants to run off with them, i can
imagine the battle we'd have if he saw the gadget in action!!!

my 2 y.o. gave up BFing at 18.5 months so i don't think he's interested

in
that, he's just a regular loony, active little boy. with a baby nursing
practically every hour i can't manage to pump but once a week if i am

lucky.
i really want to work this out too...any suggestions from you mom's with
more than 1 kiddo?

thanks-
joanna *slightly frazzled*

Hi Joanna,

I also have a little one running around he will be 2 in September. At

first
he thought the pump was a toy, but I just got him distracted with a fave

TV
show, then I pumped. Now he isn't even a bit interested when I pump!
I really reccommend you get an electric pump (if you don't have one
already), I use the Medela Mini-Elecrtic and it's great. I find that it
doesn't have too many parts, and is travel size. I tried the Isis but I
think it just took soooo long , time I
don't have with 5 kids. The Medela gets the milk from me quickly,

especially
if I wait for Kam to stimulate the let-down first.

Also give him some pots and pans and a wooden spoon, that should keep him
busy! noisy but busy Lol! there are lots of ideas, like giving your 2yr

old
a snack and drink in his highchair, or I give Joey some crayons and some
paper in his highchair.

Or you could consider only pumping when your 2yr old is in bed/taking a

nap?
Joseph has one 1 hr nap, and he also sleeps from 7pm thru the night.

I only now pump once a day, and it's enough for a freezer stash.

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 6

I guess things are a little extra nutty here because our 2 y.o doesn't take
a nap everyday and usually goes to bed around 10:30. He USED to take a nap
everday at a set time and go to bed by 9. Also - he hasn't used a highchair
in many months and doesn't fall for the regular tricks. The only *trick* i
have left right now is to set him up with Play-Dough and he'll usually play
with that for awhile. But that can only work once a day and makes a big
mess. I do use the Medela Mini-electric and can pump and finish in just 10
minutes. I can probably just leave him alone in front of a video and pump
upstairs but then i won;t be able to hear him and i feel like i am deserting
him. Oh well...i'll just have to get a good routine going.

Also with my 1 month old nursing so frequently i can figure out a good time
to sneak a pumping in!!

Thnaks for the ideas
JOAnna
mom to Mikey 2y2m