Old May 28th 04, 03:21 PM
beeswing

Default Would volunteering be a conflict?

x-no-archive: yes

Marjorie wrote:

Folks, when someone puts X-no-archive: Yes at the top of their posts, they
are asking you to please NOT copy their post when you respond because they
do not want their posts archived on Google.

Thanks for stating this. I do appreciate it. Most folks don't know what no
archive means.

Now, on to my response. I volunteer at our local elementary school library
once every other week and none of my kids attended this school or will be
attending it. I also volunteer with a much older friend whose kids didn't go
there and whose grandkids didn't attend there. We've never had any issue
from the parents or the school staff about not being part of the school
family.

My kids attend middle school and there aren't any opportunities for parents
to volunteer there. Since I don't work on Fridays, it seems to me that I had
time to give to an elementary school and I asked if I could help out.
They're happy to have me (and all the other volunteers) and I don't think
they'd even care if I had an ulterior motive. They need the help.

Yeah, after I thought about it, I really couldn't see a downside to offering,
as long as I was open about us considering the school. They were asking for
professional skills I happened to have...they may not be crawling with
volunteers with similar skills. They haven't gotten back to me, so on the other
hand, perhaps they are. It's year-end and maybe the team doesn't meet in the
summer. At least I offered.

BTW, closer to home, I just volunteered to help chaperone a field trip next
Wednesday. I'm psyched! The kids are going to a local park to observe a minus
tide, and the school asked for as many parents as they could get to go along. I
thought it sounded like great fun and was happy to volunteer.

beeswing