Old February 9th 04, 03:51 PM
Jonathan Smith

Default "Beware of Vaccine Bullies"--Malkin column

"JG" wrote in message ...
"PF Riley" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 10:32:03 -0700, "JG" wrote:

Hep B is transmitted via body fluids; ergo, diligent parents will

make
sure their infant/child isn't engaging in unprotected sex, sharing
needles, or
being exposed to the body fluids of others (of unknown hep B status)

in
other ways.

So they'll just go to the library instead the playground at recess?

I dunno; someone here--D.C. Sessions, IIRC--used to claim that there
were documented cases of transmission via paper cuts! g (If you, or
anyone else, can provide such documentation, I'd love to see it. D.C.,
or whoever it was that made the assertion, never did when asked.)

Just what goes takes place on your schools' playgrounds, PF? Orgies?
Group piercings? Tattooing?

Biting?

If you can find a verified, documented case of "recess transmission,"
please point me to it. Certainly if an instance of "blood swapping" did
occur, post-exposure prophylaxis could be considered/initiated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

: Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1989 Dec;8(12):870-5. Related Articles, Links

Hepatitis B virus transmission between children in day care.

Shapiro CN, McCaig LF, Gensheimer KF, Levy ME, Stoddard JJ, Kane MA,
Hadler SC.

Hepatitis Branch, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, GA 30333.

We investigated two situations involving hepatitis B virus exposure
among children in day care. In the first a 4-year-old boy who attended
a day care center developed acute hepatitis B; another child at the
center, who had a history of aggressive behavior (biting/scratching),
was subsequently found to be a hepatitis B carrier. No other source of
infection among family and other contacts was identified and no other
persons at the center became infected. In the second situation a
4-year-old boy with frequently bleeding eczematous lesions was
discovered to be a hepatitis B carrier after having attended a day
care center for 17 months. Testing of contacts at the center revealed
no transmission to other children or staff (representing 887 person
months of exposure). Nationwide surveillance data showed that for the
period 1983 to 1987, 161 children 1 to 4 years of age were reported
with acute hepatitis B. After children with known hepatitis B risk
factors were excluded, 25% (7 of 28) of children with known day care
status were reported as day care attendees, a percentage comparable to
national estimates of day care attendance by this age group. This is
the first reported case of hepatitis B virus transmission between
children in day care in the United States. Although it appears that
day care transmission of hepatitis B is infrequent, further studies
are needed to define the risk more accurately.