Old September 7th 08, 09:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_5_]

Default My concerns

Do you mean for the signing off appointment you don't get a HV? Cause round
here you take them to be weighed at the clinic which is done by the HV any
age up to school age (and beyond if you're wanting). I've never been
questioned when I've asked for any of them to be checked at up to 7yo. (last
birthday) I think at school age they go under the school nurse officially.
If your HV refuses to see you at the clinic, I think you can complain. I'll
check that one if you like.

I think with pressure on finances they are trying to reduce the number
of home visits, which increases the amount of drop in clinic time, so
child and family teams that might previously have had one clinic per
week (our surgery was big enough to have 3 people in the team, HV and
two nurses of some other kind, neither were "just" nurses - but until
about 3 years ago, one clinic on a Monday afternoon), they now expect to
spend more time in that kind of setting and then rather than just having
another general clinic, they label them as being for specific groups, so
that only one would be a clinic where you could get vaccinations and
thus mainly be aimed at babies and would have baby weighing equipment
out and ready, not necessarily toddler weighing and measureing equipment.

When they started doing that in our area, they were actually quite
creative in where they used for toddler clinics and often tried to have
them in another room of a building where there was a playgroup or
something going on.

We got a letter from our surgery giving us options on how to get what is
usually referred to as "the 2 year check", but I know families at other
surgeries got quite different letters, even though the toddler clinics
were a collaboration, some people just got very stark letters saying
they have to be at this place at this time, whereas we got a letter that
quite subtly said they would really prefer you to go to one of the drop
ins, but made it very easy to access other options, I just ticked to say
I'd prefer a home visit and that was what happened, with no fuss at all.

I can kind of see how someone running a clinic might be very busy and
stressed out and not respond appropriately to someone new to the area
showing up somewhere that they weren't really expected to be at, but
that doesn't excuse poor handling.

I also found often that the receptionists were the worst, it was only
once I said to the HV that Monday afternoons were terrible to get
vaccinations for me that I found out I could make an appointment with
the practice nurse at another time. They also told me the only time I
could possibly see the midwife was Tuesday afternoon, which I couldn't
do and they made no attempt to make any alternative arrangements and
seemed to have the attitude that if you can't make it then you don't get
antenatal care, I managed to call the midwife and she fitted me in to
her home visiting schedule.

Cheers
Anne