Old October 25th 03, 05:26 PM
Chloe

Default How old should children be before being left alone?

"Seth Thomas" wrote in message
Chloe wrote:

wrote in message
Never?

It's probably not a good idea to leave most children alone together &
unsupervised, ever.

There's no one to control their bad side, & they can get

excited/"high"
by doing things (mean stuff, destroying, assaults), & act worse &

worse.
(an fictional example is in the book: Lord of the Flies) However,

there
are some individual exceptions.

snip

You don't need to cite a fictional example to me. Last year where I live

woman left her kids home alone while she was at work, and the two

pre-teen
aged boys beat their 5 year old sister to death. The boys had a history

of
violence and had already been in juvie a couple of times. I really can't
manage to dredge up any compassion for the mother, who it's reported is
borderline retarded. Makes mandatory sterilization seem like a good

idea.

Should they be shot to death like the molesters should be?

Well, I hope this mother never regains custody of any of her children (I
think she has a total of six). I don't have any ideas about what's
appropriate for children who kill. The juvenile court system doesn't seem to
do much except give them time to grow into adult criminals. In practical
terms I'd say, sadly, that the boys are already a lost cause even at their
young age. If they'd never been born society would probably have two fewer
criminals to deal with on the street. And frankly, the five-year-old
victim's life seems pretty much like a waste to me, too. Evidently her
family managed to pack a lot of misery into her few years.