Old September 22nd 03, 04:57 AM
Nina

Default Co-sleepers/bedside cots and safety

"toypup" wrote in message

"Nina" wrote in message
t...
Sounds like a drag. Good luck. Its funny, I NEVER intended to sleep with

my
kids. But I would wake up in the morning and the baby would be in the

bed
and neither my husband nor I would remember how he got there. After a

few
nights we figured it would be safer to just start off with him in bed,

than
to risk wandering around semi-concious in the dark with a baby.
I have a bassinet next to my bed, Im afraid I will do the same- take the
baby in and out while not fully awake and that Iw ill hurt her.

This is such a fear of mine. People will think I was on drugs or

something.
MIL and my own mom seem to think moms are superhuman or something, like we
are able to be totally alert whenever our babies need us. Well, I've

fallen
asleep with DS in my arms and he slipped down my belly once when I was on
the recliner. DH saw it and it was not a safe situation. Another time, I
awoke to find that DS was suffocating on my breast (we were lying side by
side, he was in the crook of my arm). I didn't mean to fall asleep in

such
positions, but it happened often at the time because I was so exhausted

from
feeding every hour/half hour around the clock. It was to the point that I
was trying all sorts of positions to find one where DS would be safe if I
accidentally fell asleep. There really wasn't a good position for us that

could find. I mean, the side lying one on the carpet was one of the

"safe"
ones that nearly suffocated DS.

For me, I just ended up sleeping witht he baby on my chest. Its a MIRACLE I
never dropped him because at first I would wake up and he would be in my arm
and OVER the floor, not the bed. I would sleep for hours with the baby just
in my arm, not sure how I had the strength. When I kept waking up that way,
I gave in and put him on my chest because no matter what I did, I couldt NOT
notice him there in the way.
But it was scary, because we could NOT figure out who was getting him out of
the crib!
I remember the 1st month vaguely, it seemed all we both did was sleep. I
would nurse the baby for an hour, then we'd drift off then we'd wake, I'd
nurse him and we'd be asleep again. Somehow we managed to cling on the
entire time and he never slipped. THis is number 3 for me and my youngest is
8. I am afraid my baby instincts are off and I will fall asleep with the
baby, forget Im holding her and then stand up and drop her.