Old September 4th 08, 11:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

Default Do you give your baby a Vitamin D supplement?

Anonymous User schrieb:
Our pediatrician has told us to give our baby a Vitamin D supplement
but that goes against the grain when you're breastfeeding
exclusively. We want to avoid anything 'artificial' in the first 6
months. Now, we're wondering how much sun exposure is required to
produce Vitamin D whilst still being safe for such a little one and
want to get the balance right. What's everyone else doing?

Both of mine didn't get the Vit. D. I tried it a few times but either
they spit up right away (just the tablet) or after the next feed (the
tablet and all the milk). I am outside with both kids a lot anyway,
walking to and from school, walking to get groceries, walking to the
playground, etc. and breastfeeding exclusively so I wasn't worried about
Vit. D anyway.

There is Vit. D in breastmilk. If you're worried about enough Vit. D you
can take the supplements yourself (I'm assuming you're the breastfeeding
mother). Just go for a walk every day, maybe you can even squeeze in two
walks on some days.

Both of mine are September babies, so it's not like they were getting
full sun all the time, but apparently it was enough.
I don't know how much sunlight is required, but we're outside for at
least an hour every day.

cu
nicole