Old August 23rd 06, 05:13 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
Phoebe & Allyson

Default How Dangerous is Childhood

toto wrote:
http://health.theledger.com/article/...11/FAMILY/1478

children have been trained to look out for menacing strangers

Caterpillar (3yo) and her grandpa go to the zoo together pretty
regularly. Over the weekend, they were at the zoo, getting on the
train, and Caterpillar climbed into her seat while Pa put the stroller
in the front stroller area. A man with 3 kids approached the train, and
one of the kids climbed up next to Caterpillar. When they left, the man
grabbed 3 kids - but not the right ones. Pa was vague on details, but
was sure it was an accident.

She was retrieved pretty quickly, but she's now very leery of strangers.
She wants to play "You be the stranger, and I'll be the little girl"
or "I'll be the stranger, and you be the little girl" all the time. She
and I were at my school last night, and she saw an African-American man
coming towards us, and immediately said he was a strange man who was
going to take her away, like the man at the zoo.

Phoebe