Old December 13th 07, 07:24 PM posted to misc.kids
grandma Rosalie

Default Am I hurting my child by putting her in daycare at 22 months?

On Dec 4, 5:10 pm, Beliavsky wrote:
On Dec 4, 4:38 pm, Banty wrote:

Do wring said relative's neck.

snip
Your daughter will do just fine.

Maybe, but we have no way of knowing that.

We have no way of knowing the other way either.

I was a SAHM, and I had my dd#2 in 'nursery' (which was what they
called it then) as soon as they would take her, which was 30 months.
Before that it was just the base day-care when I went to market or had
some other place to be like a meeting.

DD#2 was a WOHM and she had her child in daycare from the very
beginning as she could not afford to do otherwise (her dh was in
school so she was the sole wage earner). He's 13 going on 14 now and
seems OK to me.

Most of the time IMHO, the studies fail to conpensate for the attitude
of the parents. They used to think that moving a lot would make
school children more likely to have problems, but when they analyzed
the data, they found that the confounding factor was the attitude of
the mom. If the mom was upbeat about moving, the kids did fine
ultimately. If the mom whined and complained about the move, the kids
had problems also.

And they fail to take the quality of the day-care into consideration
because thath varies wildly from place to place. I think the
individual people involved are more important than the averages. Just
as you can have a good teacher in a poorly performing school, or a
poor teacher in a generally good school. The individual classroom
teacher is the most important thing.

Also in this situation, there is no one-size-fits-all. Just as there
is no perfect parent.