Old October 22nd 03, 12:32 PM
Jill

Default Large babies?

Is it possible for large babies (ie, 9-11 lbs at birth) to run in a family?
My husband's side of the family keeps telling me (proudly!) that large
babies run in their family. My sister in law had 2 c-sections- I am not sure
how much her DD weighed but her DS was taken early, she said the doctors
told her he would have been almost 12 pounds- I think he was 11 early. But
supposedly, all the women on my husband's side have 10 pounders, according
to what everyone says. My husband's mother had 2 large babies and one was
premature so he was small...his cousins and aunts and uncles had a lot of
large babies too.

I am just wondering if there is something to this or it's coincidence. Most
of the babies that I know about on my side have been more in the 7-8 lb
range, but I have never gone around asking cousins, aunts, etc ..but boy my
husband's family is proud of their "big babies". lol. I am not going to
predict my baby based on the others. But the thought of a 12 pound newborn
is frightening to me sort of.