Old June 8th 07, 02:20 PM posted to misc.kids
cjra

Default Survey: best name for a newborn baby boy?

On Jun 7, 11:26 am, toypup wrote:
On 7 Jun 2007 07:53:36 -0700, Banty wrote:

In article , toypup says...

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:01:57 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:

JohnZhang wrote in
groups.com:

What do you think among these 3 choices? thanks for any
input!

http://www.thepollspace.com/polls.ph...=75&category=0

did you mean to use Nicolas, Steven (Stephen) or Robert? i
certainly hope so, because actually naming the poor child with
a diminuative is unkind. it's hard enough to get along in the
adult world without being saddled with a 'baby nickname' as
your given name.

Maybe the guy doesn't know English and those names sound fine in his
language?

And if we proposed Sasha or Dima for a boy child, and a Russian speaker object
that those are diminuitives for real names, would you accept as a defense "oh
well, we don't know Russian and those names sound fine in our language"?

It's a perfectly valid objection.

Banty

Yes, in their own country. In our country, the child would not feel
saddled with a diminuitive, because the majority of the people would not
know it is a diminuitive.

Call me a stickler but I think any name should be used properly. I'm
not at all bothered by 'foreign' names, just use them (and spell them)
correctly!