Old October 19th 04, 10:39 PM
kane

On 19 Oct 2004 14:21:33 GMT, (Fern5827) wrote:

Subject: MO: DSS has more employees than substantiated complaints
From:
(Fern5827)
Date: 10/18/2004 10:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Yup.

In---There were approximately 8,800 employees of DSS in MO in '03.

Yet out of over 109K calls to the Child Abuse Hotline, only around 7K

were
substantiated.

Looks like there's some wiggle room in these stats.

Am I to understand you are using this to suggest they do not need that
many workers based on the premise, it seems, that they would not need
to investigate any of the allegations that turned out to be
unsubstantiated, only the ones that eventually were substantiated?
Have you ever run into the concept called, "logic?"

As I recall in this thread, which you've conveniently broken and NOT
fully attributed for easy referal, there were many more thousands that
had to be investigated to determine their substantiation or their
unsubstantiation.

Please explain, in 50 words or less, how your claim in any way
indicates some failure on the part of CPS.

Also, you need to understand the terms you are using. Let me point you
to this:

"In the year 2000, nearly twice as many referrals to child protective
services (CPS) were unsubstantiated as substantiated.1 However, many
of the children in unsubstantiated cases become the subjects of
subsequent CPS referrals. In a sample of 35,000 CPS cases in Missouri,
three-quarters of the children who were referred to CPS two or more
times—including child fatalities—had cases that were initially
unsubstantiated.2 The decision to unsubstantiate a referral does not
guarantee a child's safety from future harm. To better protect
children, decision-making and outcomes in unsubstantiated CPS cases
warranted closer review.

The meaning and use of the terms "substantiated" and "unsubstantiated"
vary by State. For the purposes of this synthesis, "substantiated"
means an investigation by child protective services determined there
is reasonable cause to believe that the child has been abused or
neglected. "Unsubstantiated" means an investigation determined no
maltreatment occurred, or there was insufficient evidence under State
law or agency policy to conclude that the child was maltreated. In
deciding to substantiate a referral, some States require the
caseworker to determine not only whether a specific incident of abuse
or neglect occurred, but also whether the child is at risk of future
maltreatment."
"

Wanna guess where that quote is from? It's not mine.

You need to read BOTH ARTICLES TO GET THE FIGURES RIGHT.

http://news-leader.com/today/1017-Ca...es-203007.html

http://www.news-leader.com/today/101...al-203012.html

And the current head of Missouri DSS, DHS is resigning after less

than 2 years,
to "be with his family."

Everyone understands what that signifies.

No, everyone doesn't. We don't all just automatically fall into line
with someone else's insinuation. We like to know more so we can make
informed decisions and not do harm.

But thanks for trying.

Kane

DESCRIPTORS; CPS, ST. LOUIS, BRANSON, CAPE GIREDEAU, SPRINGFIELD,

KANSAS CITY,
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES, CASEWORK, SOCIAL WORK, KINSHIP CARE,

FOSTER
CARE, ADOPTION, CHILD ABUSE, NEGLECT, MAKEWORK JOBS