Old September 3rd 03, 02:45 AM
P. Tierney

Default New common sense child-rearing book

"P. Tierney" wrote in message

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

Child and family psychiatrist Robert Shaw says he wrote the latest

book
in
the child-care advice genre because he had to. After the teen

shootings
at
Columbine, he asked himself, "How would you have to raise your kids

for
them to do this?" His answer lay in the past three decades of books

on
child rearing. [...] - the majority have pushed a
child-centric view that elevates the child to head of the household.

Yeah, like the Baby Whisperer, Contented Little Baby book, the Ezzos, et

al.

Which ignores the scores of "tough parenting" theorists out there.

But, the easiest way to sell a child philosophy is to get people on
the same page as you and then create an "us vs. them" fictional
battle. Which is what this author appears to be doing.

Ooops. I now realize that you were giving counter examples. Sorry.
I just remembered who Ezzo is. I've heard of the Baby Whisperer
but no few details. The "Contented" one is new to me.

P. Tierney