Old September 3rd 03, 12:00 PM
Chookie

Default New common sense child-rearing book

In article , Banty
wrote:

Be aware that the OP is a regular on alt.support.childfree.

Well, I knew it was a troll, though I wasn't aware of the provenance!

I perceive (and I may be wrong) that there has been an *increase* in materials
coming from the the 'larn yeh good' school of child-rearing in the last 5-10
years. Actually, I think the history has been:

1945-1960 -- Research into the 'authoritarian personality': militaristic
upbringing thought to have made Germans, Italians, and presumaably Soviets
more prone to accepting/participating in brutality, oppression and aggression
by their Govt.

1960-1980 -- The gentler styles of child-rearing become more popular, I
presume as a response to 'authoritarian personality' theories -- era of
"Summerhill", Faber & Mazlish(?). Alongside this, Milgram's experiments on
American college students, and Jones' Third Wave instant Nazism indicate that
kids who grow up in liberal democracies are just as inclined to brutality as
anybody else.

1980-2000 -- Rising conservatism in English-speaking countries, fear of youth,
fear of crime. First Ezzo class held 1984. Gentler parenting styles still
increasing in use, but backlash also arising.

2000+ -- Plenty of schedule-oriented, authoritarian material published!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990