Old September 9th 03, 05:27 AM
Dawn Lawson

Default do people not like holding their babies?

Nevermind wrote:
You see these people for, what, 15 mins of their day, during which
time they are not holding their babies, and you assume they don't
*like* to hold their babies? This is one of those problems that you
need to remind yourself there's "not enough information" to figure
out.

I worked in a place where there were LOTS of babies and it was noticable
and shocking how MANY people would not take their babies out of the
carseat or stroller no matter what. To the point that we were known to
comment to those rare moms who DID take their babes out that it was nice
to see them respond to their infants.

20lbs isnt' that heavy, imo. I carry DS (19lb 11oz) in backpack or
sling for long long periods of time on walks, visits to events, etc. I
detest strollers from the point of view of the user AND the poor
unfortunate person trying to navigate AROUND one of those monstrous
blockages.

Given the number of items available to make picking up one's child less
"necessary" and the frequency with whch I see MANY of them in one house,
I have to assume the average parent spends very little time holding
their infant. Many places (homes)I've been, the parent has shuttled the
baby from carseat to bouncer to swing to playmat to crib and back, only
holding them long enough to transfer them.

Although the question may be "loaded" it certainly seems a valid
question if you look about and notice how very very few people really DO
hold their infants/children for any appreciable length of time. and
really, those that reply that they use a stroller or seat say they do so
because they do NOT like holding their baby during a meal or to go for
walks, or whatever. (Not to say they don't like their baby)

Dawn