Old September 16th 03, 01:52 PM
Mark Probert

Default Kids, tummy aches, and OTC remedies...?

"David Whitney" wrote in message
om...
All:

My wife and I are at (extreme) odds over the proper way to handle a
tummy ache in our 7-year-old son.

She grew up with a mom who is a nurse and is predisposed to medicating
quickly, and generally never challenging or questioning a doctor's
advice. I grew up in a decidedly non-medical background, and with lots
of significant family sensitivity to various medications; as a result,
I'm very cautious.

In this case, my family methodology has been that it is best to let
tummy aches run their course, as unpleasant as that may be. My opinion
is that OTC preps (eg Pepto Bismol) forestall the body's natural means
of "purging" the bad stuff, and actually work to make things worse. My
wife, on the other hand, believes it borders on cruelty *not* to give
some OTC meds to relieve the discomfort.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this issue. Please reply to the group;
the email address posted herein is long since dead.

What is the level of discomfort?

Do you have a clue as to what is causing a stomachache so often as to be
such an issue in your home? Instead of worrying about what to do after it
starts, find out why it starts.

This procedure would start with a visit to your child's pediatrician.

And, remember, your level of tolerance for pain is not that of your child.