Old June 23rd 03, 04:49 PM
Banty

Default Gotta keep it from The Children

In article , "0tterbot" says...

"Banty" wrote in message

Do not put all smokers in the same basket. When my DH and I
smoked, we always, always, always threw out butts in a bin. It
is rubbish and belongs in a bin.

as i do & many smokers also do (although at this point i feel like i'm
talking to the walls. sigh. people just *want* to believe all smokers

smoke
all over everyone & throw butts everywhere.)

Hello, walls :-)

EGADS!
;-)

The problem is, *enough* smokers are rude and sloppy about it such that

it's a
problem. No one's saying all smokers should be deemed rude.

yeah, but read this thread, & observe that *enough* anti-smokers are rude &
obnoxious to smokers - people making grand statements about what smokers do,
& getting frightfully in a flap at the same time (& never noticing the
smokers who don't **** them off.) i'm certain it's quite identical to the
militantly whatever who simply never *notice* how many of the subject/s of
their disapproval are being perfectly polite about it, they only see what
they want to see & extrapolate it to a ridiculous degree.

but at any rate, pardon my momentary exasperation on that matter. :-)

Exasperation allowed :-)

IT's just that it only takes a FEW rude smokers to make a HUGE impact. Yes, I
know and notice considerate smokers. I do think more smokers are considerate.
They've been just about beaten into it ;-)

And I do think smokers are somewhat of a whipping boy as to a lot of general
social irritation being dumped upon them. So I'll grant you that, too. Western
society seems to put a huge spotlight on things, ignore others, then turn the
spotlight on other things, and ignore previous focusses, etc. But it's that
it's such an especially CLEAR CASE of doing things at others' expense with no
benefit to self OR others other than "I do this". And folks are getting
increasingly irritated at the general degredation of "I do this 'cause I wanna
it's my RIGHT dare ya to say anyting about it" in many areas of life. Given a
consensus and an "opening" concerning smoking - yeah, smokers are getting really
dumped on.

Paint me as a converted previous smoking-tolerant. Still a current
smoker-tolerant. But the positive impact of anti-smoking laws have really
turned me around. Not to defend them now would be like asking me to advocate
repealing anti-dumping laws.

But seeing this thread, apparently meant initially as a "look aint-it-awwwful a
stupid law is being passed 'For the chiiiilllldren'", but the law is addressing
something demonstrably crappy for EVERYBODY, shows a blindness to how gross the
thing is, that just BEGS to be pointed out - again - what a stupid awful thing
is being defended. I don't rightly care if it was being done for the remote
possibility of offending Little Green Men From Mars - it sucks and it has to go!
Come back with another "Aint it Awful" about something else "for the
chiiiillldren" - the OP really blew it and picked the wrong subject for this
one!

Cheers,
Banty