Old December 13th 07, 04:11 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Organic milk / hormone free milk

On Dec 12, 4:09 pm, enigma wrote:
wrote
oups.com:

I buy organic milk because I don't like the idea of
hormone-fed cows. However now I see in the stores that some
of the regular "non-organic" milk marked as "no hormones".
Does anyone know what the difference is between these two
categories?

in order to be labelled 'organic, the cows must have been born
to mothers who were fed certified organic feed, & they must be
fed certified organic feed exclusively. they should not be
receiving growth hormones or antibiotics (if a cow needs
antibiotics for an illness her milk is not allowed to be mixed
with the other cows in the bulk tanks until 2 weeks after the
end of the antibiotic treatment).
in theory, organic milk cows must also be given free access
to grass pasture. in practice, Horizon Organics (the largest
"organic" milk producer in the US) keep their milkers in a
confinement barn, in the desert, with no outside access or
fresh grass... but because they are run by an agribuisiness
with lobbyists & all, they apparently get to thumb their noses
at true organic standards.

We don't use other organic foods; just milk.

why just milk? organically grown produce is widely available
& priced on par with imported, treated with who-knows-what-
chemicals-banned-in-the-US produce.
and if you aren't vegetarian, your meat is a hell of a lot
worse as far as hormones & antibiotics than your milk is! not
to mention the saline & chemicals injected into it to keep it
"shelf-stable" for a month...
lee

We are vegetarian. I have two daughters and I don't like to give them
the hormone -fed-cows' milk. I haven't read much about the subject but
figured organic milk is the way to go.
Thanks for your reply.