Old August 19th 07, 05:53 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education
toypup

Default cover article in Time magazine on gifted education

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:17:12 -0400, Sue wrote:

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
My daughter was picking out words on signs before age 2, and is reading
through the easy reader section of the library at 2 1/2. She read 47 books
this summer for the summer reading club, independently, most of them not
to me but to the librarians and volunteers at the library.

I somehow doubt that she's just average.

Maybe, but did she comprehend what she read? Just because a child can read
words, doesn't mean they are understanding them and comprehension is more
important than just reading words.

The kid is 2 yo and reading for Pete's sake. What more do you want? I do
think a child reading that young is gifted. I know some parents push and
push their kids, and those kids can probably read without truly
understanding anything. However, one who does it on her own volition is
definitely gifted.