Old June 1st 04, 10:23 PM
Jill

Default Looking for a kid-safe vehicle- recs?

My husband and I are looking to trade his truck in for a vehicle better
suited for me to drive Rachel and future kids around in. He has a Ford F150
extended cab, and I have an old (c. 1990) Honda Accord. He is driving my car
for his commute to work, because with everyone else seemingly on the roads
in vans and SUVs, I don't feel my car is safe- it's so small I would HATE
for someone to hit me while I had the baby. The truck is safer but it is so
cumbersome. I am 5'2" tall and the truck feels huge to me, not to mention
it's awkward getting her car seat in and out of- we installed it in the
middle of the back seat - those back seats are tiny in extended cabs.

We can't buy new but I am obsessed with getting something as safe as
possible- I can't decide on an SUV or a minivan. I don't think SUVs are all
that safe really in crashes, but they have to be better than my car. Anyone
have any opinions or happy with the safety of what you are currently
driving?

I tend to prefer foreign and wish we could afford a Honda Odyssey
minivan....my husband likes Fords for some reason, and wants to look at Ford
Winstar vans or Ford Explorers...I like the really small SUVs (Ford Escape)
but don't feel they are safe...etc.......any suggestions? van or SUV?