Old June 1st 04, 10:53 PM
Circe

Default Looking for a kid-safe vehicle- recs?

Jill wrote:
I tend to prefer foreign and wish we could afford a Honda Odyssey
minivan....my husband likes Fords for some reason, and wants to
look at Ford Winstar vans or Ford Explorers...I like the really
small SUVs (Ford Escape) but don't feel they are
safe...etc.......any suggestions? van or SUV?

How about a used Volvo station wagon? While I appreciate your concerns about
driving a car around all the minivans and SUVs, I *hate* that people give in
and engage in the "vehicle arms war" instead of resisting. In the long run,
you're better off driving a passenger vehicle that stops in less than half
the distance of an SUV/minivan and handle better, since you'll have a better
chance of avoiding an accident altogether. Plus, you'll get far better gas
mileage--remember, the cost of a vehicle isn't just what it costs you to get
it out the door of the dealership. And a Volvo is, of course, extremely
crash-worthy and safe in the event you *do* have an accident with one of
those nasty SUVs.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."