Old December 5th 05, 03:25 AM posted to misc.kids.health,sci.med,misc.health.alternative

Default Why Did "Aids Baby" Eliza Jane Really Die?

"HCN" wrote in message

"john" wrote in message

http://breakfornews.com/my/modules.p...icle&sid= 259

Christine Maggiore and her husband, Robin Scovill, are challenging the
Los
Angeles County Coroner's finding that their three-year-old daughter Eliza
Jane Scovill died from Aids-related pneumonia.

We interview pathologist Dr. Mohammed al-Bayati

WRONG... he is not a medical pathologist:
http://catallarchy.net/blog/wp-conte...t_on_Eliza.pdf

Nicholas J Bennett MB/Ph.D claims to have a medical degree, I don't see MD
behind his name.

he must be in hiding, a search turns up VERY little.

What's more, the fact that HCN, posted the pdf, most likely means this
Nicholas J Bennett most likely is a *paid off* witch hunter. A search under
his name with the MB/Ph.D turns up very little. WHY would any doctor, use MB
and NOT MD behind his name?

Comments on Al-Bayati Report from Dr. Harold E. Buttram, MD, FAAEM
One expert to comment is Dr. Harold E. Buttram, MD, FAAEM (Fellow of the
American Academy of Emergency Medicine). He reviewed Al-Bayati's report and
wrote this letter in response:

October 30th 2005
For the past several years I have had the privilege of becoming
familiar with the work of Dr. Mohammed Ali Al-Bayati through mutually shared
cases involving alleged parental child abuse in the form of shaken baby
syndrome (SBS). In these cases, each of us wrote medical reports defending
parents whom we believed were falsely accused.

Regarding my own background, in the past six years I have written
approximately 80 medical reports in defense of parents whom I believed to
have been falsely accused of violent physical child abuse, largely involving
charges of SBS. With few exceptions in these cases, I have observed a
troubling pattern of abandonment of the usual thoroughness one finds in
medical centers once suspicions of SBS were raised. In most cases that I
have reviewed, in my opinion, there have been varying degrees of negligence
in working through differential diagnoses, sometimes missing the most
obvious of alternate non-traumatic causes.

In the present case of the autopsy report on Eliza Jane Scovill, in my
opinion, there is a similar pattern; that is, diagnostic assumptions have
been made based on superficial evaluation with little if any attempt to
investigate other possible causes of the child's three-week illness
culminating in death.

Regarding Dr. Al-Bayati, I consider him to be a master craftsman in a
broad field of medical expertise. His workups are exhaustive and meticulous,
yet plainly written so as to be accessible to reasonably educated
non-medical people. He makes no statements or claims that he does not
document in the medical literature.

In the case of Eliza Jane Scovill, I first reviewed the autopsy
report, which did in fact give rise to personal concerns and doubts.
However, after going through Dr. Al-Bayati's report point-by-point, he put
all doubts to rest. There is no question in my mind that his report
accurately describes the true causes in the death of Eliza Jane Scovill.

Harold E Buttram, MD, FAAEM
Quakertown, PA, USA

Comments from Dr. Andrew Maniotis
Dr. Maniotis is a Professor of Pathology and Program Director in the Cell
and Developmental Biology of Cancer at the University of Illinois at
Chicago.

November 21st 2005
Dear Ms. Maggio

I read Dr. Al-Bayati's report this weekend with a magnifying lens. I
analyze many similar reports in the course of a single week, as I am a
Professor of Pathology at UIC in the heart of Chicago, at one of the nation's
largest medical schools.

What I can say about the quality of the report - its thoroughness,
insights, the examples chosen to present as differential diagnosis - is that
it is perhaps one of the most thorough, if not the most thorough, and
well-studied investigations I have ever seen. If only more pathologists
could study Dr. Al-Bayati's logical and scientific methodology more
carefully, there would be little need for inquests, malpractice, fraud, and
certainly less medical error in autopsies, diagnosis, treatment, or critical
care practices.

I would only emphasize something in the report that Dr. Al-Bayati
developed quite adequately himself from a technical standpoint by his
stating and showing how the independent neuroconsultant didn't perform the
proper controls for the p24 staining of the microglia and neurons. It should
not escape the attention of the reader, especially those readers not
familiar with the technicalities of the language of these kinds of reports,
that the detection of the p24 antigen is not in any way diagnostic of the
presence of HIV, or any other virus or pathogenic state that I am aware of.
Positive staining for p24 in this case, as in all cases in the published
literature, is without scientific basis since positive staining can be found
also in normal tissues and contexts, as Dr. Al-Bayati suggests by pointing
out that the proper p24 controls were not performed in the LA coroner's
report.

I wish you the very best, and hope with all of my being that this
horrible state affairs that you and your family have been subjected to, due
to the incompetent and mindless analysis done by the original LA coroner and
their consultant, ends as soon as possible.

I state unequivocally that Dr. Al-Bayati's analysis and report
represent the state of the art in terms of methodology, completeness, and
accuracy, and should be presented in the textbooks as models of how to do a
differential diagnosis.

Andrew Maniotis, PhD.
Program Director in the Cell and Developmental Biology of Cancer,
3370 Molecular Biology Research Building,
Department of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, and Bioengineering,
1819 West Polk Street, Room 446, (MC 847)
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA

who has just authored a
report revealing that the child died of anaphylactic reaction to a
prescribed antibiotic, and we speak also Dr. Andrew Maniotis of the
University Illinois at Chicago.