Old May 13th 05, 02:42 PM
Sue

Okay those are open-ended questions that is very typical for the age of your
son to not answer. Find out from the daycare provider what he did do, ate
and played wtih then ask questions like did you enjoy the cheese and
crackers you had for snack or what was your favorite part of the book you
read. If you just ask what did you do all day, very typical answer is I
don't know. You will have to do more specific questioning about his day.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

wrote in message
ups.com...
I guess I wasn't clear in that he asked to "read" to us, and it turned
into more of a "what is happening on this page?" type of exercise,
since I was trained as a teacher, that was the easiest way for me to
explain it. We had already read his books to him for the night and this
was something extra he wanted to do. At any rate, this was just when I
noticed how habitual it was for him, because he was literally stopping
himself in mid sentance as he tried to avoid it. But he does it all the
time. he goes to daycare so at the end of the day there is a certain
amount of, Did you have fun today, what did you play with, who did you
play with etc. It isn't like rapid fire questioning, just as we are
getting ready for dinner or even during dinner. About the only thing he
doesn't say I don't know to is "What would you like to eat? And he does
typically get 2 choices to chose from.

Maybe we do ask him a lot of questions, but that is how i find out what
he wants to do or how he is today. he can have rather engaging and
facinating stories to tell once he gets going....

thanks all,
Allie