Old September 11th 03, 03:46 AM
Cathy Weeks

Default Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide?

I had some kind of panic attack at the dentists while on nitrous as a
teenager ...never used it again!! I have had all my wisdom teeth pulled with
just novacaine. same with the root canal I had and any fillings.

Root canals are usually not particularly painful - by the time you
need one, the nerve is usually dead.

as a child we had a fillings done with nothing IIRC. Certainly not nitrous.
Do they need something for pain? ther aren't any nerves in babyteeth are
there?

YES!! Baby teeth most definitely have nerves. By the time they fall
out, no, because by then the root and nerve are long gone.

I had one filling done with no anesthesia other than nitrous. It was
shallow, and didn't penetrate much beyond the surface of the tooth,
and wasn't anywhere near the nerve, but it was still very
uncomfortable. Never again. I wouldn't force a little kid to have
that done. And doing so is likely to turn out a child who is scared
of the dentist, and won't be as willing to go.

PLEASE don't make little ones do it without some sort of anesthesia
(doesn't have to be nitrous - there are alternatives)

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis