Old June 2nd 04, 03:27 PM
Denise Anderson

Default My own name question

"Sophie" wrote in message
* If your DH likes Brianna so much but you're not sure, what about
* Briony (I've also seen it spelled Bryony)? I've heard it
pronounced a
* couple of ways - "BRIAN-ee" or "BREE-oh-nee".

I've never seen or heard of Briony before, but I would pronounce it
bree-OH-nee unless told otherwise!

Bryony is the more typical spelling and it's actually a botanical name
(bryony is a type of flowering vine, rather like holly, I think). I have
always heard it pronounced with a long "i" in the first syllable and

short
"o" in the second with the accent on the first syllable: BRI-o-nee.

That's how I'd pronounce it. I dunno, either way, it's not an attractive
looking or sounding name to me. I think you'd get people accidentally
moving the Y around to make it Byrony.

Well I just sent an email to DH about it, just incase and he said "Rigatoni,
Ravioli..." So no go

Denise