Old April 28th 04, 07:12 PM
Heather

Default Wild critter/pet?

I actually have experience with this. It happened to me when I was younger!
Mine were grey squirrels, not red ones. Two baby squirrels decided I was
their best friend, and with no mom running to their rescue, I fed and petted
them OUTSIDE for about a week until one day, they just up and left. But they
would run up my body and back down like I was a tree, very cute and funny.
I still saw them when I visited my mom for a year, maybe two and only
recognised them because they came right up to me. But after that, nada.
Guess they died.
They did not bite me but attempted to nibble my finger when it smelled like
food.
My ex father in law raised a pair whose mom had electrocuted herself by
accident. He said they liked to ride in his shirt pockets and slept in his
boots which he hung from a nail in the garage. They would be up waiting for
him each morning. They left eventually too and he was grateful as he said
they had begun to get destructive in the garage.

Heather

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article ,
(Hillary Israeli) wrote:

In ,
Beth Kevles wrote:
*
*I think, in the end, I'd be uncomfortable with this relationship, but
*consult with a vet and see how it goes.

I am not a wildlife expert, but I have a special interest in zoonoses

and
can talk a little bit about those which may be carried or vectored by
squirrels. It will depend greatly on the geographic location, but, in
general:

Thanks for the information, Hillary! Given that my daughter is 18, I
wouldn't even TRY to tell her she couldn't adopt this squirrel -- but I
CAN give her information about the risks involved.

Do you know where I can get information about what diseases are common
in THIS area? Would a local vet be likely to be any help? I don't have
a lot of money to put into this, and since other rodents are often pets
I don't really have any sort of emotional response to this -- but I
would like to try to make it as safe as possible!

It turns out that there are actually two of them, one of which is more
friendly than the other. They are continuing to hang out in our back
yard, and come out to greet us if anyone goes back there. They've come
up to the patio window a few times -- which gets the cats interest! I
think they may be thumbing their noses at the cat . . .

meh