Old June 21st 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.arts.books.childrens,misc.kids,soc.men,alt.parenting.solutions
Hyerdahl

Default The Final Word: Maybe it's time to let boys be boys - outside

On Jun 20, 2:06 pm, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote:
The Final Word: Maybe it's time to let boys be boys - outside

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columni...7-05-01-final-
word_N.htmhttp://tinyurl.com/ythtr3

By Craig Wilson, USA TODAY
May 1, 2007

(edit)

Nothing titillates a boy more than the hint of danger, real or
imagined.

[and that's what society needs, more boys getting titillated ...doing
more dangerous things than they already do. :-) More male illegal
drug taking and trafficing, more male crime, more male violence, more
male risky vocations and avocations, more male acoholics, etc.]

(edit)

The book's premise is simple. Want to know how to make a slingshot? A water bomb? Want to decipher codes or write with invisible ink? It's all there for young male minds to devour and digest.

[Or young female minds; that a book is titled for boys doesn't mean
girls can't read it. In fact, last time I checked girls read quite a
bit more than boys. Trying to keep girls out of the clubhouse won't
work here. :-)]

(edit)

I'd like to think there are boys in America who lead such a life still. Their days filled with endless possibilities. Boys whose minds
and bodies both wander.

[Poor baby boys don't realize that girls go skinny dipping too, and
just as often. :-) Girls get on their bikes ...of a summer...and
bike to old Aunt Helen's farm, or to a neighbor's house...at least
that's what they tell their daddies. :-)]

(edit)

But I do remember a treehouse that allowed me to sit in the sky, a makeshift covered wagon that carried me to the edge of the lawn, a rowboat that floated me out to an island in the middle of the creek, an island we conquered over and over and over again. We fought foes

both real and imagined, and without any casualties on our side, I
might add.

[So children need to let their imaginations run wild, and not just
boys. Good to know. :-)